What is Robotics Process Automation?
Robotics Process Automation or ‘RPA’ is the software and technology that can be configured to integrate and emulate human interaction with digital systems to create automated business processes. RPA is able to simulate human interaction and store data and is usually used to replace people and perform repetitive tasks. Using RPA technology reduces the margin for human error and can be run for long periods of time.
What Industries Use RPA?
As it becomes clearer how much RPA can reduce timeframes for project delivery by removing delays from human error and being able to run continuously, many industries have embraced and developed RPA solutions, including:
- Finance and banking
- Public sector
- Retail and CPG
What Kind of Skills Do You Need to Work in RPA?
Do to the highly technical nature of RPA, most people who work with it have bachelor’s degrees in computer science, IT, software engineering or a related field. They also need to have proficient technical skills and an array of soft skills.
RPA technical skills:
- Designing and building robotics workflows
- Knowledge of UML diagrams and BPMN notations
- Experience of tools like UiPath or Blue Prism
- Good understanding of string operations
- Knowledge of SQL
- Good knowledge of debugging and attention to detail to spot glitches
- Good knowledge of XML and XSD, understanding of REST API, familiarity with SoapUI
RPA soft skills:
- Good multitasking skills
- Attention to detail
- Imaginative and inquisitive mindset
- Good written and verbal communication
The Different Types of RPA Jobs:
RPA is a growing area as it allows you to automate large-scale business processes without a huge IT spend. Many roles utilising RPA now exist to further integrate RPA and AI into many different organisations, these include:
- RPA Developer
- RPA Architect
- RPA Business Analyst